Inauguration week is here, and many of us are trying to find ways to mark this momentous occasion in our homes while still being safe and socially distanced. The perfect answer to this predicament in our house has been, you guessed it! Children's books!
As you all know, we are big believers in the power of representation, and this new administration, as imperfect as it may be, has warmed our hearts with its groundbreaking representation. From Vice-president elect Kamala Harris to Deb Haaland as secretary of the interior. These strong and diverse women are showing our children that they too can achieve their dreams.
Along these lines, we rounded up some books that are special in our home that highlight some of the fantastic BIPOC who have paved the way and a few that encourage today's kiddos to engage in our government as they too can make change.
1. Equality's Call by Deborah Diesen
2. Shirley Chisholm is a Verb by Veronica Chambers
3. Vote our Future by Margaret McNamara
4. We The People by Aura Lewis
5. Kamala and Maya's Big Idea by Meena Harris
6. V is For Voting by Kate Farrell
7. Parker Looks Up by Parker Curry
8. We are The Change by Harry Belafonte
We hope you have a safe and happy Inauguration week and that these books bring a smile to your face and inspire your littles that they too can be the change!